Friday, October 07, 2005

Consequences

Even the most silver of clouds have black linings.

My favorite "family" columnist, Megan Cox Gurdon, had her fifth (!!!!...!) child, and is retiring, at least temporarily. Actually, she's the only "family" columnist that I read, so the fact that she's my favorite is probably superfluous.

Anyhoo, when I first began reading her column in 2003, she had a piece every Friday, making the best day of the work week even better. Since she became pregnant with this latest baby, she has pared down to a column every other Friday. And now there will be no more.

I am sad to see her go. Her stories of family adventure remind me of my brothers, and me, in childhood when we coined phrases and terms, and were clever and silly, and innocent and irresponsible. Ah, those were the days.

So, if you're up to it, go check her out. She may not be for everyone.