Friday, October 21, 2005

Music musings

Well, I'd love to make a music recommendation, but I'm not listening to anything new or edgy these days.

Right now, literally at this very moment, I'm listening to Norah Jones, Lonestar. Awesome song. Awesome artist. I actually consider it a great writing album, now that I know every song by heart. It's got a slightly melancholy feel, which is generally perfect for the heroine in distress (assuming you're not writing anything too adventuresome, then I'd recommend you listen elsewhere.)But, you already know about her, I hope. So you don't need to hear about it. I can't even comment on her newer release, 'cause I haven't bought it yet.

Other than that, I spend a lot of time with Alison Krauss's Forget About It. This album is even older than the Norah one, and Alison's career is not new. This is another good writing album for me, I know it by heart, it's got it's own blue streak, and it conjures images of an emotionally injured heroine picking up the pieces and moving on. I hope I don't need to tell you about her either. She usually performs and records with a band, Union Station. Although they are really awesome in concert, the albums with them haven't impressed me, as a whole. I guess I don't like the decidedly country feel, and the occasional non-Alison vocal leads. However, if that sort of thing appeals to you, you should check them out as well. After all, they had a hand in The Soggy Bottom Boys. What do you mean, George Clooney didn't really sing that?!

I've noticed that Rob Thomas, of Matchbox 20 fame, has a new solo album. I'm very interested in this one, and when I eventually get my grubby hands on the thing, I shall tell you all about it, trust me. In the mean time, let me know if you've heard any of the songs, or own the album yourself. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Maybe next time I'll discuss a few more old favorites. God knows it will be some time before I have enough spare cash to go around risking it on new, possibly mediocre albums.