Thursday, January 10, 2008

Let's not do that again.

For the curious. Yes, it really is harder the second time around.

Tom had surgery yesterday, as planned. The surgery was about 15 minutes longer, and the recovery was probably 3 times as long.

Surgery from 12:30 to 1:30 or so, and we didn't get to leave until around 5. He had a really tough time. The one better thing about this time is they gave him straight narcotics that he can take every 3 hours, instead of the stuff with tylenol that he can only have every 4. I think it's helping keep the pain at bay a bit better, but he is high as a kite as a result.

Israel was great at the clinic, and only had a tough time for about 30 minutes in the car on the way home. Today, however, he decided that getting up with me at 6 was a great idea. I've been really wiped out waking up every 3 hours, and between meeting Tom's needs and peanut's, it took me until 11:30 to drink the cup of tea I originally prepared at 7 and reheated twice.

Now, I've had my tea, a bowl of yummy bean and chicken soup, and some bread, plus a coke and some chocolate. It's made me feel a bit more normal.

If I can manage to avoid having to build a fire again (which I have now done 3 times in the last 16 hours, the darn thing just keeps burning out too fast), I think things should go a bit better from here.